Wednesday, June 30, 2010

My second print

Today I printed an edition of 15 of my latest linocut. A few nights ago I planned it, the next day I sketched out ideas until I was satisfied, then I transferred it to the linoleum block in reverse and started carving. The carving takes quite a while but I quite enjoy it. For my first block (golf club) I just wanted to get to the printing so I rushed through the carving. This time I went slow and found that the carving is just about as good as the inking and pulling. Then I pulled a few proofs and made the necessary adjustments last night. Today came the hard work of printing but I'm happy to report that the result is exactly what I was going for. Nothing was lost in the transition from idea to sketch to block to print- in fact much was gained. I realize that the process is probably a mystery to some of you, it sure was to me a few weeks ago! So for my next print I'm going to record each step for a tutorial :) The subject is a South American cowboy drinking the national Argentine drink yerba mate.


El Gaucho con su mate' / The cowboy with his mate'
Image approximately 5"x7"
Black water based ink on white sulphite paper
Available for $10 plus $2 shipping


No comments:

Post a Comment